A good read! Books and more

I just found that Larry Correia’s newest book in the Son of the Black Sword series was just released. Most of the books I “read” are audio books and Tim Gerald Reynolds narrates this book. Check out his series if you are into fantasy books.

https://www.baen.com/sonoftheblacksword

3 Likes

I’m currently making my way through the Otherland series by Tad Williams on Audible. TW is one of my top 10 favorite authors and I’d picked the first two paperbacks years ago and finished them, but never finished the series due to life, etc. So I’ve started the series over on Audible and am really enjoying it. It’s narrated by George Newburn. And while I was looking for more info to share on it, I found out that there was an mmo released in 2015 based on it??

Anyway, here’s the 1st book’s Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28695.City_of_Golden_Shadow

2 Likes

Nice, thanks, going to check out both your recommendations. One of my favorite authors came out with a YA type of book series recently and I’ve just read the first one and it was excellent. Check out “Skyward” by Brandon Sanderson.

1 Like

I really enjoy Brandon Sanderson. Highly recommend the Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings is the first book), if you like him/epic fantasy novels.

2 Likes

So far I’ve only read Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy. Really really enjoyed it! Since I haven’t read all of the Otherland series yet, highly recommend the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams - especially if you enjoy fantasy more than sci-fi. Though my first into to him was Tailchaser’s Song. :smiley:

1 Like

I love the Mistborn series. Sanderson’s world and character development in his books are amazing. His Reckoner’s series is super good as well. He just released a new book called Skyward that intrigues me.

i mentioned it above, I really liked it

oh snap son! you sure did! Sanderson’s Elantris is also a good read.

I’ll always be plugging Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files. 15 books and 2 short story compilations of fun!

5 Likes

Love those books! His Codex Alera series is pretty enjoyable as well. (I actually read it before I knew what the Dresden files were lol)

I’m currently “rereading” The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan using audible. I’ve read close to 1,000 fantasy books, and instead of trying to find new ones I’ve started making my way back through the ones I’ve really enjoyed.

2 Likes

always a great series to reread @Priest

1 Like

Lately I’ve really enjoyed Michael J Sullivan’s Riyria Chronicles as well as Brian McClellan’s Power Mage series.

@Priest I’d always meant to read those, but never got around to it. Then I met Wedge and he owned them all lol So I made it through 4 or 5, and kept getting exasperated with his character writing. I keep meaning to go back to them though. If I get a week at the beach, that will be my plan.

I struggled with the middle as well… that said, the last two-three make the entire journey worth it. The final “battle”, which spans most of the last book, to me was just phenomenal.

I gotta agree, the Jim Butcher Dresden files is a wonderful and easy read! @picodelsol

1 Like

I’ll second Isi on the Codex Alera series. That one was a lot of fun, and I definitely didn’t miss Harry moping about and being awkward around women, hehe. (Though <3 Bob for life).

And Tad Williams is fantastic. His Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy really needs to be bought by HBO. And Tailchaser’s Song traumatized me (in a good way) when I was about 10. I’m also a sucker for anything by Neil Gaiman or Neil Stephenson.

2 Likes

Every year I find myself coming back to Patrick Rothfuss’s two books; Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear are both excellent stories. Currently I’m about to finish the latter.

Before I finished a more recently published book called Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames that was pretty fun.

2 Likes

I’d take a bat to Rothfuss’s knees if I ever saw him at this point for not releasing the third book.

Kings of the Wyld was a really fun read @Mesden.