Evolved History

Our History

In August of 2018, Evolved was conceived to provide a drama-free, family-oriented, and people-focused environment for mature gamers who wished to play online without the antics often found in open games. We believe that the person behind the keyboard is more important than the pixels on the screen and that everyone should have the opportunity to play without fear of being harassed, heckled, or abused.

We possess a leadership structure, core values, organizational objectives and all of the various characteristics one would expect to find in a socially-developed organization that is primed for growth. While we will not organize your gameplay for you, we will offer you an environment in which you can pursue your own gaming style of your choice with others of similar gaming style and mentality.

“Accomplished Casual” will define us for years to come. Yet, as we grow, we’ve broadened our minds to accept that not all games in the modern MMO and gaming world lend themselves to totally casual gaming. Our community will survive because it evolves; it adapts to the ever-changing games around us. Our officers and members work extremely hard and devote long, personal hours to creating a home for the most casual of the casual and to those who are driven to accomplishment. Your gaming experience matters … and we are building this place for you.

This is our history…

Year 1

Finding a good gaming community can be hard to discover. What can be equally frustrating is feeling “stuck” in a gaming community whose ideals no longer reflect your gaming needs. The Architects that founded Evolved had been gaming together for over six years through another organization. We all wanted to stick together and create an organization that would always “evolve” to meet the needs of the players and their unique games.

• Borders
  • Cataclysm
  • DJHaighted
  • Grimmie
  • Isilaura
  • Origin
  • Soulquake
  • Skye
  • Taevarth
  • Wedgebert

We spent roughly 4 to 6 weeks of planning for our departure. We expected that we would be starting at ground zero, having to recruit hundreds of people from the get-go, with a very slow start to building the community. It was a tough decision, we knew that some people would be mad at us for leaving. It was a huge risk. Well, we were totally wrong. After announcing our departure from the previous organization, the outpouring of love, community, support, and hope was truly amazing!

We felt so blessed and loved, that many people wanted to help create our community with us! We should have expected this because y’all are so amazing and loving. But sometimes when you’re taking such a big risk as these, people’s fears take over reality.

The first few months the initial focus was the continuation of a strong WoW-A community and the establishment of a WoW-H community. These were solid goals to accomplish, leadership teams were established to support organization and structure within these communities.

Following this, a few members had grown tired of WoW but obviously wanted to stay within the organization; the ESO guild was born. Shortly after that, more members were inspired to create guilds under the organizational name: FFXIV and Atlas. We have since grown to offer more side games that involve Shooters, RTS, and Moba’s.

As the community grew, Star joined ranks of the board to start bridging our numerous communities together. This was the beauty of the plan: to have a centralized community that no matter what you play, there is a family that you can connect to within Evolved.

This is what we have become: family. We love each other, support each other through dark periods, and celebrate through the happy ones Yes, sometimes we fight with each other too; but what good family doesn’t? That’s a symbol of passion for the love of the community and the love of the games we play.

Year 2

Evolved is happy to celebrate 2 years! Many of us have been gaming together much longer though, over 7 years! No matter what anniversary we are celebrating, its the intention that matter. We are celebrating US: family, friends, bros who all love gaming with each other!

The 2019 - 2020 year was tumultuous, even before the Covid-19 pandemic. Evolved, across the board, experienced tremendous growth. FFXIV, run by Trekkie, has grown to a sizable free company (guild) that has its own beautiful guildhall and fun members who have been enjoying the Shadowbringers expansion. WoW- A, led by Isilaura, continues to raid with 2 teams. WoW-H, led by Severinne, has seen much growth in membership since its establishment last year and also continues to raid late in the expansion. Both WoW guilds look forward to the Shadowlands expansion that is due to come out by the end of 2020. Growth is good, however, its does not always work as intended. We had a setback, or learning experience with ESO, in that with all the other growth we incurred it was too difficult to find solid leadership to support the unique needs within the ESO community. We do hope one day that we can develop more guilds within our community with other games like ESO, Guild Wars2, BDO, etc. So if anyone should be interested in that, please reach out to the board or tri!

Growth also continued with a lot of the ‘side games’ that we play too! This is awesome because one of the main goals of Evolved is to keep our members gaming together, no matter what the game is! Of course popularity fluctuates in tide with our interests but we continue to see people play Overwatch, CoD, Diablo, Minecraft, Valorant, Destiny 2, etc. Another fun thing that started this year was participating in Jack Box games hosted by DJ and Cards Against Humanity and Trivia hosted by Star. The events themselves are hilarious, but it’s truly amazing to see members across many different games get together to have fun.

The 2020 Get Together was planned for the end May in Orlando, unfortunately to be canceled due to the height of the Covid-19 pandemic. This was saddening for many, but we hope to revisit the idea of a Florida get together for 2021 if safe from Covid-19.

I interviewed members in Discord about some of their favorite memories from the past year, and here is what was shared:

Rillid (FFXIV): My best has to be our first free company clear of E1-E8 in FFXIV. Lots of laughs from everyone involved.

Raille (WoW-A) I do like going into bird form so someone clicks on it and rides me. THEN fly to the ceiling and transform in and out. (apparently guildee murder is good)

Grimmie (WoW-H) - While mount/mog farming, I accidentally trashed my weapon and off hand … was only able to recover the weapon. Thankfully guildies felt bad for me and ran through several mythic +s, no luck. A month later, many runs of many things later; I still can’t get an off hand to drop for me. So it was a bad thing that happened - but awesome people tried to help me! (but the game still cursed me).

Glimmer (WoW-A) Killing so many people with troll portals!. But you should always use your friendly mage transportation service. There’s a 78% positive rating on yelp.

Jin (FFXIV) I think my favorite Evolved moment was our first clear of the edens. Fairly sure that was the first time we actually had a lot of people get together and work together towards getting clears. Of course it was full of tons of laughs and jokes, and I think really showed just how awesome Evolved is as a gaming community; being able to turn things that could normally be stressful into suuuuuch amazing fun

Raille (WoW-A) Consistently telling people to not interrupt Jaina and take it off your bars to be the one to interrupt her.

Markus (FFXIV) My favorite would probably be when we did the Eden raids as well, first time seeing 8 members work together on something.

Xenellia (WoW-A)Everytime we get to the trash in front of carapace and people try to murder their friends…

Rummu (WoW-A) Watching drunken @Swim (WoW-A) (XO) chase a shaman around a pole for almost the entirety of a BG, just to leave the shaman alone then as soon as they ran by he pitbulled right back to it. ‘Stay on target, staay on targett!’

Isilaura (WoW-A) We ran the LFR BoD, but were doing everything wrong. All trash at once, skipping mechanics. Like we were all on a single boat for Leviathan, purposely trying to wipe ourselves, etc… Some people were less amused by our antics than others.It was almost a full guild group, except for a few. There was no containing the silliness. But yes, there was definitely drinking involved. And it wasn’t originally scheduled to be a “troll” run. Was really to get people Azerite. It just ran away with itself.

Jin (FFXIV) Also becoming the FC’s (un)official photographer is so fun for me

Glimmer (WoW-A) Saturday Night Achievement runs

Rillid (FFXIV) Mine has to be our Eden clears as a full 8-man group as well. Specifically the first one, when somewhere around 10-15 other people showed up just to watch Red’s livestream of us doing it and hang out with everyone. So many laughs and lessons learned. Really great time overall.that was the first time i’ve been in a discord call with that many people and normally i get really nervous and things, but these guys did such an awesome job of making me feel included and like i was part of this group for a long time.

Raille (WoW-A) Making people think Steelheart was joining us in Wow :stuck_out_tongue: During our officer shake up. When Cata stepped back, Tae created a Steelheart character in wow for me to ginvite and troll the long time members; still fun to mess with everyone briefly.

Thanks for the fun year all!

Year 3

3 years on and we are still going strong! Prior to Evolved, some of us have even been gaming together for over 8 years. The 2020-2021 year was interesting to say the least. Many of us were still on lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic for the majority of the year. For some this was a blessing to be able to work at home and increase gaming time; for others months on end with job instability was very difficult. Many of us work in varying industries and Evolved would like to thank health practitioners (doctors, nurses, emt’s, etc.) for their hard work towards assisting and healing people. We would also like to thank those who kept essential businesses and services going as well.

Evolved had intentions of our yearly get together in Orlando… But Covid-19 delta variant struck, and we decided to stay it safe this year again to avoid furthering the spread, especially for any medically fragile members. Plus, it was really tough on people’s wallets. It’s surreal to have lived through a pandemic, sometimes I feel like this is only something read about in books, but here we are. Hopefully, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel soon. As we all very much want to meet up in person, like in Vegas 2019! When we do, it’ll be one hell of a party!

Year 3 brought the establishment of Classic on the Pagle server, Alliance faction. Cataclysm helped establish a strong, friendly community who also does well with raiding Burning Crusade content. Currently, this guild is led by Scybil (GL) and SwordNBoard (XO). The Wow-Alliance Retail guild on Proudmoore is still going strong with Isilaura (GL) at the helm and Helzer (Xo) assisting her. Throughout the Shadowlands expansion they have had 3-2 full raiding teams. Eskey took over leadership of the Wow Horde guild on Area 52 which also had on average 3-2 raiding teams for Shadowlands.

During the summer, it was revealed to the public that Blizzard is encountering a lawsuit (for various, serious reasons that I won’t go into depth here) but this left many players uneasy on whether they wanted to continue supporting the corporation or move on to something else. Unfortunately, this created some lossed in the gaming community. However, it also created an opportunity to revitalize FFXIV (led by Markus) and to establish New World (led by Mintolos).

What we hope for the coming year is that Evolved continues to grow with the games that we offer to our players and that our current communities remain strong. There are many games out there that we have minimal to 0 presence in and we hope that you can help us expand and grow.

Here are a few member quotes about favorite memories with Evolved:

I’d have to say my favorite memory is a few weeks ago after raid, most people stuck around and we all got drunk and ran around Azeroth killing elites and doing dungeons. We ended up playing a couple more games that night, but I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time! - Guinevere

So, there was this game called Among Us. Basically I loved killing people, and for two weeks I boasted how good of an Imposter I was…

WELL IT BACKFIRED

10 man game, someone pushes the button –

Random-“I saw Eskey jump in a vent”
Eskey-“No the heck you didn’t!”
Random-“Who are you going to believe, me or him??”
Eskey (Stumbles on words for .0005 of a second- *Eskey has been ejected"

So many fun nights in that game, but you have to be dumb and smart at the same time, I was always just a little too dumb it seems. - Eskey

My favorite memory was my raid group realizing that both my cats were named after members of my raid team, and it wasn’t even on purpose. Izzy is 8 years old, and Tobi is almost 3. -Buji

Hadn’t been doing heavy FFXIV long, but We’ve taken up doing old raids and trials recently and it’s been fun going into this content with some very experienced players and some complete newbs (me) and watching us either demolish an old raid or get our butts handed to us repeatedly when a mechanic heavy fight actually makes us learn. It’s also been great getting to play with former friends from other games who came this way while getting to know those that were already in FFXIV.
_Raille

I wish I could share a specific memory, I just don’t have one… there have been many great moments… but it’s the overall feeling I get being a part of Evolved that is what makes it so great.Before I found you guys… I was lost in the “in between”… a inferior guild had fallen apart. It was all I knew at that time… so I just played solo for 2 expansions… and it really made the game feel hollow. I decided before Shadowlands came out, I’d make an effort to find some place that fit my schedule and attitude… that’s when I found Evolved.

Year 4

This past year has been a wild one for all of us on the Board. Not going to beat around the bush, but sadly it feels as if we have had more lows than highs this past year. We have seen many people come and go, which is usually the normal for most gaming communities. But this past year hit us especially hard when we had 2 of our board members leave us. They may have parted ways from Evolved but we still wish them the best with whatever they are doing in the gaming world as well as IRL.

Not only did the departure of 2 board members hurt, but we also sadly had the Classic TBC and Horde Retail guilds leave us, with the Horde side stealing the guild itself. This was a huge blow to us and caused some major stress and tension for us all. We understand stuff like that is bound to happen within a larger community such as ours, but it still was rough to see so many friends and members go separate ways. Even though this was a hard pill to swallow, we did bounce back. We have attempted to learn from the past year as we look towards the future for this community we love.

We have seen some games come and go such as New World and Lost Ark. It was hard to see the rise and fall of these games and many of us wonder was it due to Amazon Gaming Studios? Both games were good but sadly really lacked the social side - which is important for a MMO to be able to grow beyond a solo-play game - so these did not work out for our community. We also had to move our FFXIV guild down to a casual game. Mostly, this was due to a lack of interest in the game within our community and not enough active members to sustain it. We also learned that we needed to be a little more flexible with how we handle our membership - leading us to open our Discord and discontinue requiring a forum sign-up. We wish our FFXIV players a happy journey in their endeavors. If ever someone wants to take on its rebuilding (or any other game) within our community, have a conversation with us and let’s get it going.

On the plus side, we gained some amazing new Board members. Glimmer, Jackburton, Raille and Medd all joined up and have strengthened us. They have helped us shape and form a new charter, new Discord philosophy, and have continued to bring some new brainstorming ideas to the table. We are very happy and honored to have them at the head of the ship, steering us in a new direction that will make our community stronger.

As mentioned previously, one of the biggest changes we made was how we recruited new members by not requiring them to register on the forums anymore. Now they just join our Discord and accept our terms to come and play with us. We have seen a slightly higher influx in recruitment since this change and we hope it continues to grow our community.

The Horde guild has also been on a journey to rebuild, and it’s been great with the addition of the Cross Faction in WoW. This has brought in new members to our community as well as current or returning ones trying out the opposite faction. Our members, regardless of faction, can chat with each other via the Cross Faction Community, run M+, join in for the M+ mingle night, attend progression raids, and join in for Open Raids on Sundays. It is truly amazing to see our members not as Horde vs Alliance, but as Evolved members playing World of Warcraft together.

All in all, the past year felt pretty crappy. But we understand not every year is going to be picture perfect. We do know that we have kept the lights on through the troubles, and we are still going to keep pressing forward building our community up. New games are on the horizon and we’re sure within our community, we have the right people with the potential to lead something in the future.

Remember we are a T.E.A.M which means…

T - Together
E - Everyone
A - Achieves
M - More

Thanks for 4 years of great fun everyone and we hope to have many more years of fun and adventures in front of us. From the Tri/Board, we thank you and wish you the best in-game and IRL.